Tuesday, February 28, 2012

TO LOVE OR NOT TO LOVE

 I came across this passage this morning when I was doing my  Bible Study on Finding Joy and the Fruits of the Spirit in Galatians 5:1-26. It spoke about Jesus' command  that He spoke of in Matthew 22:39 " Love your neighbor as yourself". This spoke to my heart after I had a rather long discussion with my 10 year old daughter Bethany yesterday about some problems she is having with some girls in her class. She told me her concerns and I talked with her about how she should handle it the way Christ would want us to handle the situation. That in our human flesh we are quick to judge. criticize and to seek revenge and hurt them as much as they hurt you. I look forward to talking further with her about  what I read in my devotional study this morning that will explain more about what the Bible says concerning our relationships with others whether it is someone we like or dislike.
Bethany is facing what she calls the 'girl bullies of her class". It's the typical thing where they would gossip and spread rumors about their peers.. they boss you around.. criticize you often. Bethany would tell things she would over hear them saying about someone else..she is disgusted on how they boss her around and how they treat others. Bethany is a loving caring soul which is one of the many things I love about her and she has been taught to treat others like she would want to be treated. We want her to protect herself phsyically and emotionally if she needs to but we are now teaching her on how to go about it in a loving way the way Christ would want us to do it. We are to love everyone...that means even our enemies. As a mother and someone that has gone through the same thing and sometimes still do I read some things that will help me as a mother teach my children as well as myself  on issues of gossip and criticism.
Galatians 5:15-16 ...Love your neighbor as yourself. If you keep on biting and devouring each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other.
I believe in our sinful nature we have all judged,criticized and stereotyped others. I know I have and once I look back on the bitter thought or said something critical about someone I know I don't feel good about myself and feel bad for having those feelings. I see that upsetting Bethany at times when she talks about it.
I have learned and hope to teach my children in  a way that they would understand is that when I am not motivated by love, I become critical of others...I stop looking for good in them and see only their faults. When this happens with fellow believers that attitude will eventually break the unity. I need to ask myself:
1. Have I talked behind someone's back today?
2. Have I focused on other's shortcomings instead of their strength?

"Love your neighbor as yourself"
I know I need to remind myself and my children of Jesus' command to love others as we love ourselves.Which is so hard to do when you are being wronged or see someone else being wronged. But it never says that being a Christian and doing the right thing is always easy.
When I begin to feel critical of someone I need to make a mental list of that person's positive qualities. I have been practicing that alot lately. I know I wouldn't want someone looking at me and just thinking critical thoughts..would you?
If there are problems that need to be addressed, it is better to confront in love than in gossip

I want to criticize those girls and the future ones that will do the same things  throughout Bethany's life..I want to call their parents...I want to do everything I can to protect my childtren. But I know that would be the wrong way to handle it. I remind both my kids as well as myself on a daily basis that we are to be examples of Christ love that we need to be careful how we handle ourselves in sticky situations. I want them to stand up for themselves but in a way that is glorifying God. Nine times out of ten those same kids that may give you a hard time will  see how you handle it and that could lead to a change in their hearts.

Have a blessed day

No comments:

Post a Comment