Tuesday, February 21, 2012

PERSISTENCE CAN BE GOOD

Our family has been through the ringer and it will continue as we face many challenges ahead of us. I cannnot explain in full detail at this time in order to protect someone near and dear to my heart. It concerns a very special couple in our lives that are struggling with health issues and having to make changes in their lives that are very difficult due to these very trying health situations. My part in this is to be a supporter, encourager, compassionate ...just being there and doing what I can. There have been sleepless nights and stress and lots of headaches! And most importantly LOTS of prayer! I just studied over my notes that I had taken from Saturday nights sermon at church and it rings true in our family's situation. Persistent Prayer..Always pray and never give up!
When I think of the word persistence in some instances means nagging to get what you want. I see that alot as a mother with my two children being very vocal... constantly persisting on something they really want. Like this past weekend I heard over and over how they really want the new Nintendo 3DS! And as a mother I am persistent(nagging) for them to do their chores..do your homework..finish all the food on your plate! Sometime I feel like a broken record! Sometimes I don't like being the victim, as I call it, from being persisted upon. ( if that makes any sense) In other words I don't like being nagged by my kids or by the ultra annoying telemarketers. I don't feel good nagging others as well.
Well I learned there is One that wants me to be persistent... God.  He welcomes my persistency in my prayer life with Him. I have prayed so much over our family situation that sometimes I feel like God is saying.."enough already woman! I know your need..you don't have to keep telling me!" That is my human flesh talking because I am the type of person that doesn't want make people mad and think wrongly of me.
Christ said in a nutshell in Luke 11:9-10 that I should always Ask - Seek - and Knock.
I have learned from the parables Christ spoke in Luke11:5-13  and Luke 18:1-8 that when I live by faith, I am not to give up! As I persist in prayer I grow in character, faith and hope.
Christ lays out incentives for persistent prayer..things to remember as I pray:
-God is good and righteous                            - In Christ God has chosen me ( us)
- God is compassionate                                 -God is my Heavenly Father
-God is just                                                   - In Christ God is very generous
I think how I pray will relate to it's effectiveness. As I have learned in Luke11:1-4 when Jesus is teaching His disciples on prayer. In the Lord's prayer it is opened up with Christ praising God. Praising God first puts me in the right frame of mind to tell Him about my needs. I believe that is more effective because too often prayers are more like shopping list than conversations. I have been guilty of that ...I'm in a hurry so I rattle off a quick prayer. I must remember that I am talking to the HOLY ONE. I need to focuse on the aspects of true prayer..my converstion with God. I need to praise Him first..I need to focus on the content of the prayer...I need to be persistent..and I need to rely on God's faithfulness to answer my prayers.
I also learned persistent prayer doesn't always have to be for a single cause or need like our family situation. It also means praying for daily bread for today..tomorrow..the next day and so on and so on. And not just for our daily bread but others as well.
I will leave you with two verses to ponder on as I will ponder on:

Luke 11;9-10...Ask and it will be given to you: seek and you will find;knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives,he who seeks finds and to him who knock the door will be opened.

Luke 18:1 Then Jesus told his disciples..that they should always pray and not give up.

Till next time my friend.
I will be praying for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment