Wednesday, January 18, 2012

THE LESSON I LEARNED ABOUT WORRY

The past blogs I have posted have been what I experienced and what God has shown me through the healing process. Today I want to share what I learned through scripture.
Like I had mentioned before,God's timing is always right on! Once I got back from SC and started getting back into my Bible study rountine the first lesson I turned to was " Jesus Teaches about Worry" found in Matthew 6:25-34. This is what I learned from this lesson. I will not quote all the verses in this particular part of scripture so I encourage you to open your Bibles and read the verses before reading below:)

MATTHEW 6:25(niv)- The words of Christ
                    "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life,what you will eat or drink
                     or about your body,what you will wear. Is not life more important than food
                     and the body more important than clothes?"

Jesus is telling me and you all out there to simply NOT to worry because of the ill effects it can cause:
        -It can damage your health
        -It can cause the object of your worry to consume your thoughts.
        - It can disrupt your productivity
        - It can negatively affect the way  you treat others
        - It can reduce your ability to trust God
All of the above was me in a nutshell and it may be one of you right now. So I must ask myself and everyone of you that may be reading this right now:
    How many ill effects of worry are you experiencing today?
It's not to say we shouldn't be "concerned" about things, notice I said CONCERN and not worry. There is a difference between worry and geniune concern - worry immobilizes but concern moves you to action.
THE SAME GOD WHO CREATED LIFE IN ME AND YOU CAN BE TRUSTED WITH THE DETAILS OF OUR LIVES

Matthew 6:26 to me basically states that worrying about the future hampers your efforts for today. Like I had posted on FB a few days ago is that the one thing that's certain about life is that it's uncertain.We aren't promised a tomorrow. That's why it's crucial that we spend our time investing in what really matters today.

Matthew 6:27 "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
Worry is more harmful than helpful

Matthew 6:28-30
I believe that Jesus is saying in these 3 verses that GOD DOES NOT IGNORE THOSE WHO DEPEND ON HIM!
Matthew 6:31-32
Worry shows a lack of faith in and understanding of God

Matthew 6:33
" But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness and all these things will be given to you as well"
There are real challenges Gods wants you and me to pursue and worrying keeps us from them.

TO "SEEK FIRST HIS KINGDOM AND HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS" MEANS:

    - To turn to God first for help
    - To fill my thoughts with His desires( which is sooo hard to do sometimes living in sinful nature of human flesh)
    - To take His character for my pattern
    - To serve and obey Him in everything!
After studing that portion I need to ask myself and I will ask all of you:
   What is really important to you (me)?
It maybe people, objects, goals or other desires that will compete for priority which can be very dangerous because that can easily turn into an idol..putting that in front of God. God should always be my top priority. I learned that ALL to well during my experience!
TO LIVE A WORRY - FREE LIFE IS WHEN YOU AND I ACTIVELY CHOOSE TO GIVE GOD FIRST PLACE,TOP PRIORITY, IN EVERY ASPECT OF OUR LIVES!

Matthew 6:34
" Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of it's own"
LIVING ONE DAY AT A TIME CAN KEEP YOU AND I FROM BEING CONSUMED WITH WORRY.
Planning for tomorrow is time well spent
Worrying about tomorrow is time wasted

Careful planning is:
   - thinking ahead about goals,steps and schedules.
I was always good about planning ahead but my struggle is that I would stress if something got in the way and I was unable to complete my goal. I have learned from my experience and what Wayne always tells me, It will be there tomorrow..if there IS a tomorrow :)
   - Trusting in God's guidance
I have no idea why it has taken me so long and why I had to go through  what I went through to FINALLY get that! It is easy but yet so hard.
   -And when done correctly, planning can help alleviate worry.

To summarize, being a worrier is being consumed by fear and finds it difficult to trust God. Believe me this will interfere with our relationship with God.

 DON'T LET WORRIES ABOUT TOMORROW AFFECT YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD TODAY!

If you are anything like me suffering from " Can't Say No" syndrome. I used to feel bad to turn someone down who needed help rather it would be from church, the kids school, from neighbors;friends or family. I am woman hear me roar! I can help everyone and still have time to take care of my family and myself! Then you find yourself overwhelmed! My attacks showed me that I CAN say no! I know now that I can't do EVERYTHING! If you find yourself in this situation ask yourselves these questions:
  1. Why is it that trying to please everyone can actually result in letting everyone down?
  2. When you find yourself drownig in committments, why is it still so difficult to say no?
  3. When you feel overwhelmed, what should you do?

I know this was rather lengthy but it as a great lesson I learned that I am hoping and praying can and will help someone else that may be going through what I did. The above scriptures just shows a little of how Jesus Christ loves us and wants to take care of us. He only wants to wrap His loving arms around you and protect you and bring you to Himself. Sometimes He will allow us to go through pain and struggle just to do that,bring you to Himself. I know when I was suffering through those awful panic attacks I was always asking WHY GOD WHY!?! After He carried me through believe me He revealed it to me in SO many ways....now I thank Him for it each and every day!

Next time I will share the lesson I have learned through one of Pastor John Pipers sermon that convicted me on so many levels.
Until then my friends
Have a blessed day :D




         

No comments:

Post a Comment