The past couple of mornings I have been studying over my notes taken from some of Pastor John Piper's sermons at our church Bethlehem Baptist. There was one that hit home that I want to share with you. The sermon was titled " The Word of God is at Work in You" and he made up A.P.T.A.T which means:
A- Admit
P - Pray
T - Trust
A - Act
T - Thank
He spoke of A.P.T.A.T. in 3 scenarios.All 3 really spoke to me and what has gone on in my life. I was really conflicted which I often am after listening to Piper. I will share the first scenario today and the share the next two next week. I would love any imput from you or share some of your experiences. It would be nice to have some dialogue with you fine people out there :)
Scenario one ties in with the previous blogs concerning worry,fear and anxiety. You all know full well what I experienced so I won't go into detail again about all that.I heard this sermon right at the time I was being awakened by the LORD. He not only brought out more insight on the anxiety issue but other issues in my life as well which I will share later.
Suppose you are prone to fear, worry and anxiety
ADMIT that you are afraid and that you can't do it alone.
That is really hard to do for me sometimes. My guard has always been up..I will never show that I am afraid of anything meanwhile I am suffering inside. Well as you well know God knocked some sense in me on that one!
PRAY for courage
I have learned that sometimes you need to swallow your pride and seek help!
TRUST that Christ will help you.
I have learned that memorizing verses on this issue helps me do just that..Trust in Christ. Here are some of my favorites that I hope can help you as well:
-1 Peter 5:7 Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you.
- Philippians 4:6 Do not be anxious about anything,but in everything ,by prayer and petition with thanksgiving present your request to God.
-Psalm 34:4 I sought the Lord and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears.
ACT on the TRUST that God will carry you through.
I learned that the hard way..but I tend to carry that through the rest of my days
THANK God for what He is doing.
I know that was hard for me to do in the midst of the pain but now that He has carried me through I thank Him each and everyday for putting me through that to bring me back to Him. Looking back it is the best thing that has ever happened to me!
Next week I will share the next 2 scenarios concerning bitternes to others when you have been wronged and covetousness.
Hope everyone has a blessed weekend!
Thanks for sharing that Mary. I think that when you are fearful you will keep being confronted by things that make you fearful until you learn to cope with it, and turn it over to God. And once you stop being so fearful, and trusting more, the less things have the power to make you feel that way anymore and things get easier. Being thankful for the good things in your life brings more of them to you.
ReplyDelete